Monday, September 16, 2013

August-September sketches

During Wizard World Chicago-I managed to pick up some books that I had been meaning to read-one of them being the much acclaimed Maus. 

I had heard of it before, but never got around to reading it. It was fantastic! I have read and watched different media regarding the Holocaust, but this book was a great read (at least for me it was).

Hence the first handful of sketches were of SS officers and similar WWII subjects. Then it was back to good old fashioned anatomy sketches....

Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Digital Painting Exercise 2 (source image from Character

Here's another digital painting exercise I did in Photoshop, once again I used a source image from Character'm pretty satisfied with how this one came out.

*Update 9/23/2013*

Softened some of the rendering from my last post. Also adjusted the position and proportions of the girl...difficult part of this little exercise was readjusting everything from the original...which I did waaaay back in 2008...I included the original to show how far its come along.

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

2nd July sketches (digital)

These are my second set of July sketches. All are digital and off of reference photos, the point is to get more confident inking digitally. Kind of hard to do this on the Wacom, but I feel if I get it to a certain level I can save myself a lot of time as opposed to doing it by hand.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

July Sketches

These are just sketches I did in the first half of July. Most are hand studies or facial of drawings of random people/characters. All are pencil and ink drawings except for the last one.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Digital Painting Exercise (Source photo from Character

I completed this way back in early June. This was meant to refine my digital painting technique, lately I have been using more square brushes with textures in Photoshop. To get the main tones down, and then refining them with an airbrush, they have been coming out better than some of my previous work. Now the goal is to  find a way not to over refine everything and leave some elements in my painting 'blocky'.